Juan Miguel Zubiri is a Filipino politician who served as a representative representing the third district of Bukidnon for three consecutive terms, and was the Senate of the Philippines Majority Leader, the youngest to be elected as Senate Majority Leader since the First Congress in 1946, replacing Senator Francis Pangilinan on November 17, 2008.
He resigned on August 3, 2011 following allegations of poll fraud. The 43-year-old Juan Miguel Zubiri is again running for senator under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA).
Juan Miguel “Migz” Zubiri was the former president of the University of the Philippines Rangers Association, and the former chairman of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines and Paglaum Foundation.
A veteran legislator, Juan Miguel Zubiri served the 3rd District of Bukidnon from 1998 to 2007 and was always cited as one of the most outstanding solons in the House of Representatives. He has also maintained a perfect attendance in the Plenary Sessions for the last 12 years (4 Congresses) both as Congressman and as Senator, and including this 15th Congress.
In the 14th Congress and during his stint as Senate Majority Leader, Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri helped steer the Senate to a record performance of around 650 bills enacted into laws.
Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri is known as a champion of environmental concerns, an advocacy he pursues in the Senate and among his top legislative agenda. In the current 15th Congress, he chairs the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources. He also chairs the Committee on Cooperatives and 3 Joint Congressional Oversight Committees such as the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act; Joint Congressional Committee on Clean Air Act; and the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on Cooperatives. He is also a member of 20 other Senate standing committees.
Juan Miguel Zubiri is involved in concrete environmental programs such as being the founder of the Philippine Deer Foundation, a deer conservation project, and as President of the Palawan-based Katala Foundation which protects endangered wildlife species and their habitats. A trained first aider and certified rescue diver, Juan Miguel Zubiri is a Governor of the Philippine Red Cross and active member of the Red Cross Youth Committee and Concerned Divers of the Philippines.
Sen. Migz is the principal author and sponsor of more than 20 major laws, both in the Senate and during his stint as Congressman. As a fervent advocate of clean energy, he worked for the passage of RA 9513 or the Renewable Energy Act of 2008 and RA 9367 or the Biofuels Act of 2006, earning him the moniker Mr. Clean Energy.
Profile of Juan Miguel Zubiri
- Master of Environment and Natural Resources Management, University of the Philippines Open University
- Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness, University of the Philippines Los Baños
- Elementary and Secondary Diplomas, Colegio San Agustin-Makati
- Member, House of Representatives, 1998-2007
- Senator, 2007-2011
- Governor of the Philippine National Red Cross
- Member, Rotary Club of Makati
- Governor, Ranchers’ Club Philippines 1989– University of the Philippines Los Banos chapter
- Chairman, Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines Bukidnon Chapter
- Chairman, Paglaum Foundation
- Member, Upsilon Phi Sigma Fraternity and Sorority (founded 1935)
- President of the KATALA Foundation
- President of the Philippine Deer Foundation
Laws authored or co-authored:
- RA10068 – Organic Agriculture Act of 2010;
- RA 9147 – Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act;
- RA 10121 – Philippine Disaster Risk Management Act;
- RA 9165 – Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002;
- RA 9679 – the Home Development Mutual Fund Law of 2009 (Pag-IBIG Fund);
- RA 9653 – the Rent Control Act of 2009;
- RA 9997 – the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos Act of 2009;
- RA 9996 – the Mindanao Development Authority Act of 2010;
- RA 9904 – the Magna Carta for Homeowners and Homeowners’ Associations;
- RA 9903 – Condonation of Penalties on Delinquent Social Security Contributions;
- RA 9507 – the Socialized and Low-Cost Housing Loan Condonation Program;
- RA 9850 – Declaring Arnis as the National Martial Art and Sport;
- RA 9500 – UP Charter Amendments;
- RA 9163 – National Service Training Program;
- RA 9166 – Armed Forces of the Philippines Rate Pay Base Increase Act;
- RA 10072 – the New Charter of the Philippine Red Cross;
- RA 9645 – Declaring July 27 of Every Year as Araw ng Iglesia Ni Cristo and as Special Working Holiday; and
- RA 9849 – Declaring Eidul Adha as a National Holiday.
Sources: wikipedia.org, ABS-CBN, senate.gov.ph