Juan Edgardo M. Angara, most widely known as Sonny Angara, is a Filipino politician and lawyer.
He was elected to the House of Representatives in 2004, representing the Lone District of Aurora, re-elected to a second term in 2007, and a third term in 2010.
Juan Edgardo Angara is the chairperson of the House Committee on Higher and Technical Education, making him ex-officio member of the Board of Regents of the University of the Philippines.
He is a son of former University of the Philippines President, former Senate President, and incumbent Senator Edgardo J. Angara and Mrs. Gloria M. Angara, a former teacher and Chairperson of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. He and his wife Elvira currently have three children.
Born: July 15, 1972 (age 40) in Manila
Spouse: Elvira E. Angara
Residence: Aurora, Philippines
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of the Philippines, Bachelor of Laws
- Harvard Law School, Master of Laws (LL.M.)
Awards: Rep. Edgardo Sonny Angara was among the recipients of the prestigious Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awards for 2010. Angara received his trophy from President Aquino in a ceremony held at Rizal Hall of Malacañang.
Bills Authored and Enacted into Law
- PERA Law (Personal Equity Retirement Account – the Philippines version of the 401k)
- Magna Carta of Women
- Civil Aviation Act
- Pre-Need Code
- National Cultural Heritage Law
- University of the Philippines Charter
- Tourism Act
- Renewable Energy Law
- Credit Information System
- Tax Relief For Minimum Wage Earners Law
- Real Estate Investment Trust Law
- Creation of COMSTE (Congressional Commission to Review State of Competitiveness of Science, Technology and R & D in the Philippines)
- Juvenile Justice Law
- Salary Standardization Law
- Aurora Special Economic Zone
- Aurora Marine Research Center
- Creation of various National High Schools and State Universities
- Health Worker’s Day
- Preschool Act
- Freedom of Information Act
- Political Party System Act
- School building Act
- Mercury Regulation Act
- Cybercrime Act
- Marine Pollution Regulation Act
- Students Transport Discount Act
- Expanded Students Voucher System
Sources: wikipedia.org, sonnyangara.com