Teodoro A. Casiño, 44 years old, was born to middle class parents, finished elementary education at the De La Salle University (DLSU) in 1982. Casiño continued his studies in High School at La Salle Green Hills and also volunteered for the National Movement for Free Elections (NAMFREL) in 1986 which moved him into a position in politics in People Power via the EDSA Revolution. He acquired his Bachelor’s degree in BA Sociology from the University of the Philippines Los Baños.
A current senatorial candidate for the 2013 elections, Teodoro Casiño was a Public Information Director of the Kilusang Mayo Uno Labor Center from 1994 to 1998. He was a columnist from 1994 to 2004 for Business World and also Commissioner of EDSA from 2001 to 2003. Since 2004 Casiño has been serving as the party-list representative of Bayan Muna.
Teodoro Casiño’s legislative agenda for the 2013 Elections focuses on the poverty currently afflicting the country and the lack of opportunity given to the poor, with it affecting a majority of farmers, workers and everyday Filipinos. Part of his ideals includes a systematic change in the system which would provide laws that would benefit these minorities. Such benefits include the supplying means of escaping poverty through equipment, land, subsidiaries as well as job opportunities, decreases in power and water prices and rescinding of privatization of public hospitals and water districts.
Teodoro A. Casiño has authored four laws that have benefited the poor and marginalized sectors: The Public Attorneys Act of 2007, The Tax Relief Act of 2009, The Rent Control Act of 2009, and The Anti-Torture Act of 2009.
Platforms/Advocacy of Teodoro Casiño
Teodoro Casiño envisions for low prices, more jobs, and good governance.
“I stand on MAKABAYAN’s 10-Point Agenda which promotes nationalism, democracy, and the rights and welfare of the people at all times. To sum up, my platform is about your right to live decently through affordable means and quality governance through accountability,” he said in his official website.
- Power to the people. We advocate empowering the people as key in changing governance and society. We will fight foreign and elite control until we can establish a government that is truly representative of the people.
- Fight for good governance. We will fight for an honest and excellent public service that is accountable to the people. We will prosecute corrupt officials and put an end to cheating, stealing and lying in the government.
- Develop a pro-Filipino economy. We will develop a pro-Filipino and pro-people economy, We will terminate unjust impositions by the US, IMF, WB, and WTO. We will pursue a program for genuine agrarian reform and cooperativization, modernization of agriculture, and industrialization.
- Lift the majority of the people from poverty. We will prioritize giving adequate work and decent wages to the workers, free land and subsidy to the farmers, provide food security, as well as greter access to social services such as education, health, housing, utilities and other needs.
- Protect the environment. We will protect the forests, seas, and bodies of water against massive exploitation and destruction especially by large commercial interests. We will address the problem of climate change and develop the use of clean and renewable energy.
- Build fair foreign relations. We will build new foreign relations based on respect for national sovereignty and mutual benefit. We will abrogate unequal agreements with the US, Japan and other nations. We will protect the rights and welfare of Filipino migrants abroad.
- Defend democratic and human rights. We will defend human rights. We will put a stop to the political repression of activists, journalists and critics of government and prosecute the perpetrators. We will uphold the right to self-determination of the BangsaMoro and indigenous peoples.
- Promote nationalist and progressive culture. We will promote patriotic, pro-people, pro-environment, scientific, and progressive education and culture. We will advance a national language and enrich our diverse cultures. We will renounce colonial, corrupt, and decadent culture.
- Uphold women’s rights and gender equality. We will fight for gender equality and rights of women in all levels of governance and livelihood in society. We will fight all forms of exploitation, discrimination and violence against women, gays and lesbians.
- Advance the peace process. We will advance the peace negotiations and the implementation of agreements between the government and the National Democratic Front and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. We will seek for all sides to decisively address and resolve the root causes of armed conflict.